How many passengers can I carry on a car licence?
It’s a great question, which deserves a simple answer!
Most people won’t hesitate to say “Yes”. Then the questions begin:
We know that many people unexpectedly find themselves in a position where they’re requested to drive passengers, whether it be as an addition to their employed role in Education, Care, Social Groups or from a voluntary perspective.
- “Is this legal?”
- “Does my licence allow this?”
- “Is there a limit to how many passengers I can carry on my car licence?”
- “Can I drive a minibus on a car licence?”
Let's put your mind at rest and tackle some of those concerns (as much as possible).
“How many passengers can you carry on a car licence?” and the equally as often asked question, “Can I drive a Minibus on a Car Licence” have an officially “grey” answer.
Let’s start with “How many passengers can I carry on a car licence?”
VIEW – MINIBUSES DRIVEABLE ON A CAR LICENCE
The first area to cover is “when did you gain your full licence?”
This is for you 90s Kids! If you gained your full driving licence before 1st January 1997
you very likely hold what is classed as a D1 licence. This allows you to carry up to 16 passengers.
That means you could drive a Minibus for a school
, care home
, voluntary group etc
You can not drive a Minibus for a Taxi service.
We said the answers “Grey”
didn't we.Here is where it’s slightly more complicated! >>>>
If you passed your car licence after January 1st 1997
then you may still be able to carry 16 passengers
but there are conditions that need to be met:
- Aged 21 Years or older
- Held a driving licence for a minimum of 2 years
- You're not “driving for reward”
- You're driving the vehicle voluntarily and only for social purposes
- Vehicle can not weigh more than 3.5 Tonnes (4.25 when fitted with specialist equipment for disabled passengers i.e. A Wheelchair ramp)
- You're not towing a trailer
How many passengers can I carry abroad?
16 Passengers is the
allowance in the UK
Should you be asked to drive abroad you will need to contact the licencing authority of the countries you will visit.RECAP:
- “Is this legal?” Yes
- “Does my licence allow this?” Yes / Yes (With Conditions)
- “Is there a limit to how many passengers I can carry on my car licence?” 16
- “Can I drive a minibus on a car licence?” Yes / Yes (With Conditions)
January 19, 2022Share this post: